Saturday, September 29, 2012

Tufting Fit For A King



I have been searching for a headboard for our bed.  While I originally thought that I would just buy one, I decided I really didn't want to spend the money.  As most of you know, headboards can be quite expensive and I figured that money could be spent on something much more practical.  During my frequent trips to thrift stores, I had hoped to find one I could revamp, but after countless visits I turned up empty handed.  I grew impatient so the search began for a DIY headboard.  There are all sorts of ideas out there, old doors, fencing, pallets, etc. but the one that I fell in love with was a tufted headboard.  My inspiration came from two blogs in particular, Your Modern Couple's Blood, Sweat, and Button Tufts  and Little Green Notebook's DIY Tufted Headboard.  These two ladies are extremely talented and their step by step instructions made this project possible.  I honestly could not have done it without them!  Below is a list of tools/materials I used to complete this project.

Tools
  • Staple Gun & Staples
  • Upholstery Needles
  • Tack Hammer
  • Upholstery Shears
  • Nut Driver or Screwdriver with removable tip
  • Saw Horses
  • Paring Knife
  • Staple Remover or Needle Nose Pliers
  • Permanent Marker
  • Screws
Materials
  • Pegboard
  • 3 inch Foam
  • Batting
  • Twine
  • Upholstery Button Kit (I used Size 24 or 5/8")
  • Spray Adhesive
  • Lumber for Framing
  • Fabric
I wanted to make this using as little money as possible and I'm proud to say that I achieved my goal, spending just under $100!  Luckily I had most of my tools from my first major upholstery project, you can view that here.  If you plan on tackling any upholstery projects, I highly recommend purchasing a Professional Upholstery Kit from Rochford Supply.  The real expense falls in the foam and fabric.  YOU MUST USE A JOANN COUPON WHEN PURCHASING THE FOAM.  This stuff is crazy expensive!  I called in the troops for this one and sent my Mother (a Joann VIP) to pick up some supplies.  Somehow she managed to get the batting, foam and a few other things for ~$40...unbelievable!  Let me tell you, she knows how to get a deal and saves me tons of money whenever I need her to pick up materials for one of my many projects....she's magical!  Next was the fabric....another potential cash drainer.  I searched page after page of fabric websites til my eyes burned, then it hit me...Helloooo...a canvas drop cloth! Score, I used a 6'x9' and the price....$10.98.  Tell me where can you get upholstery fabric by the yard for less than that?  Ummm...I know...you can't!

Now let's talk buttons.  If you plan on buying your buttons from a fabric store, DON'T!  They come 5 to a package and are expensive, $3/package.  I figured that I needed 80 buttons with a few extra, that's a crap load of buttons.  If I were to get them from the store, it would have cost me about $50....I don't think so!  However, I found a package of 100 ($23.95) and assembly tool ($3) at Button Biz and they offer free shipping, you do the math.  That's an incredible savings!  

The only other expenses I had were the pegboard and twine, all other materials cost me nothing since I had them on hand.
  • Pegboard Sheet...................$14.98
  • Twine....................................$2.58
Warning...this is my first blog tutorial so please bear with me.

First step is to take measurements of the width of your bed and the height you want your headboard to be.  My bed is a king and I wanted it to be high enough so that the pillows didn't cover most of the headboard.  My dimensions ended up being 76"x28".  Before getting started, I mapped out my pattern on graph paper, figuring how many tufts I would need.  I decided to go with a super elegant diamond pattern.  



After your pegboard has been cut to size, label the front/top, back/top and center to avoid any confusion or mistakes.  I also marked the foam as well.  Now start marking the holes for your buttons.  Make sure you do this on both sides, it makes life much easier when it comes time for tufting.  


Next, lay your pegboard (top side up) on your foam (top side up) and start marking where each button will go.



Once you have all your buttons marked, it's time to remove the foam where the they are going to be placed.  This helps to make the tufts nice and deep.  Using your paring knife, cut a circle around each mark just a little bigger than your buttons.  Remove the foam you cut by twisting then pulling.  Repeat until you have made a hole for each button.  




Now it's time to frame the back side of the pegboard.  I called in my beloved to take on this part of the project.  He used 1"x1" lumber to frame out the pegboard and then added a few support pieces for strength.  Not only did he screw the pegboard to the frame, but he also applied wood glue to the frame beforehand.  After the frame was attached, he added some nails along the frame and support pieces.  He likes to make sure that everything he builds is super strong.  


Next, lay your foam (front side up) on the front side of your pegboard while on the sawhorses.  Once you have your holes lined up, you're ready to glue the foam to the pegboard using the spray adhesive.  I found it helpful to glue one half at a time. 



To ensure my holes stayed lined up, I used a few large nails to help keep the holes in line, removing them just before applying the spray adhesive.  Allow the adhesive to dry for at least 30 minutes or so.  




Place the framed pegboard with foam onto the sawhorses and lay the batting over the foam, followed by the fabric.  You want a few extra inches of batting and fabric to drape over the edges.  Remember to iron your fabric beforehand to remove any creases or wrinkles.  Now get your fingers ready, it's time to start tufting!  

Now I was a smarty and covered my buttons and added the twine to them days in advance.  Unfortunately, I got ahead of myself and never photographed these steps.  You may refer to the two blogs I mentioned earlier for instructions.

You are going to place your first button in the top center hole.  My method was using two very large upholstery needles, one strung with the button and the other was used to assist in finding the hole.  I placed this needle through the hole on the underside (remember you have these holes marked) up to the top.  I then used the needle strung with the button through the top using the other needle as a guide.  Remove the guide needle as you pull the buttoned needle through the hole on the underside.  

Alright, now it really would be much easier if you have a helper pushing the button while you staple the twine, but I tackled this alone.  I was up for a challenge and mighty anxious to get this project completed....I should have had my head examined.  If you do decide to do this alone, make sure you have Advil on hand cuz your fingers are going to be in some serious pain!  Anyway, while pushing the button with one hand, pull the twine with the other making sure it is taut and that your button is at your desired depth.  Now staple the twine to the frame DO NOT STAPLE TO PEGBOARD! Staple it a few more times in a zig-zag pattern, knotting the end of the twine and stapling one last time.  Use your tack hammer to ensure the staples are secure and so that your twine does not slip through your staples. 



Repeat this method, alternating from left to right of your center button until you have completed your first row.  


You may want to help your tufting a bit with the placement of each button, but I found that the fabric seems to do this naturally.  Continue until you have finished each row.


Try to contain your excitement, you're not done yet, you still need to secure your edges to the frame.  Turn the headboard over, face down, making sure you lay it on a clean surface (you wouldn't want all your hard work ruined).  Starting from the top center, pull your batting and fabric tight and staple to the frame working your way to the edge.  Repeat, stapling the bottom, then the sides, saving the corners for last.  Neatly fold your corners so that there is no bunching, then staple securely.  Trim any excess fabric careful not to cut any of the strings.


Time to hang your new headboard.  We hung our headboard using the Hangman Picture Hanging System.  Congratulations, you did it!  Now hang your beautiful headboard and enjoy!  













28 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial for the headboard! It looks great with the wall color. Stopping by from Somewhat Simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Trisha! This is my first tutorial as I am a newbie to the blog scene. I look forward to many more projects!

      Delete
  2. That is seriously amazing! I do a lot of sewing projects around our house and have considered using Painters Drop Cloths for some projects as well, but that tufted headboard is gorgeous!!
    (Visiting, and pinning, from Fox Hollow Cottage Power of Pinterest Party).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! Try using the drop cloths...I washed them before using to soften them up.

      Delete
  3. wow fabulous job love the way it looks and the paint in your room found you over at diy by design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! We are very pleased with how it turned out!

      Delete
  4. This looks amazing! Great tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nita! I'm a newbie blogger and am so happy with all of the positive feedback I have been getting.

      Delete
  5. You did such a great job with the headboard as well as your tutorial. That was something I've always dreamed of doing but it seems so overwhelming. Your project is very inspiring, thanks for sharing! Saw you at Handy Man, Crafty Woman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Casandra! I'm so glad you took the time to check my post out. You def need to try this, it's not as impossible as it seems and is sooooo worth it!

      Delete
  6. this is fabulous! you have given the best details i have seen on making a tufted headboard. i feel encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was my first tutorial, I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Seriously impressive!! And that was your first blog tutorial?! You were so sweet to fess up like that! I would have thought you were a seasoned veteran. :) I'm a newbie blogger myself. In fact, tonight is my first night of checking out some link parties--that's how I found you! :) Best of luck!

    HH at www.harvardhomemaker.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have been reading some really fantastic blogs and have been truly inspired by so many DIY projects. Hooking up with link parties is def the way to get noticed. Good luck to you as well and I would love for you to share your projects with me. I would love to check out your blog and see what you've been up to.

      Delete
  8. GORGEOUS! I love how this turned out!!

    Thanks for partying with us @ Keep Calm & Link Up this week!
    xo, Meredith @www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meredith! It was a pleasure partying with you, I look forward to many more!

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous! Can't wait for my husband to make ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! I would love to see how yours turns out! :-)

      Delete
  10. I love this!! What a great step by step tutorial. You're a girl after my own heart with the visuals. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so pleased with all of the love I've received over this project!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful headboard! Stop by House on the Way tomorrow to see it Featured! Grab a "House Featured" button too!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leslie! I cannot begin to tell you how excited and appreciative I am over being featured...you are my first! You have truly made my day. See you tomorrow at the feature! :-)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful! I've been meaning to make one of these - even have the fabric and pegboard, but now you've given me the push to do it! Just curious - why did you say not to staple to the pegboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! You def need to make one...it's sooooo worth it! You don't want to staple to the pegboard because the staples won't set deep enough in and might even end up pulling out and let's face it...you do not want your button tufts breaking free. I would love to see your finished product...Good Luck!

      Delete
  13. Wow this looks amazing! I wish I could make a headboard look this good
    www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out beautifully! I'm so glad that you found my tutorial helpful :)

    xo Catharine @ Your Modern Couple

    ReplyDelete
  15. how long did it take you to get the buttons from button biz.com???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while but if memory serves me correct...a little less than a week.

      Delete